Friday, June 25, 2010

Days 7, 8, and 9 (June 21, 22, 23): Still chugging along…

Today, we sailed through the Straight of Gilbralter! It was amazing – we saw the Iberian Peninsula (Spain) on the left and Africa (Morocco) on the right. They are only 8 miles apart! It was really cool, but super windy and COLD, surprisingly. The ship actually had to slow down to pass through because it is a “high traffic” area. They have to get permission to pass through, kind of like an airplane does when it gets cleared to land.

The last few days have been busy and ship life is kind of taking its toll on me. Yesterday was, without a doubt, the roughest day at sea. The swells were HUGE and the ship was rocking so much that it was difficult to walk. I spent almost all day in bed, which stinks because I had a lot of homework and internship work that didn’t get done. : ( It’s a little frustrating because I am used to running, running, running to accomplish my to-do list, but here on the ship, my time is dictated by the size of the swells! I can’t do homework if I can’t sit up! AH!
I'm so sorry if it sounds like I have been complaining...to put things into perspective, I actually had 2 really good days, when I didn't need drugs, sea-bands, or anything! :) Yay me! I thought I had found my sea-legs, but then I had a slight relapse...

Things with school have been really busy, but I am finding time for fun, too. There was a dance party in the super-duper-really-sweet faculty and staff lounge last night. :) It was great – open bar, good food! After the dance party, I went to sleep, woke up 4 hours later, gave my final presentation for my International Perspectives class, and then went back to sleep immediately after. Yikes! I feel like it is FINALLY Friday. Tomorrow begins the weekend! : ) We will be in Barcelona first thing in the morning. We are just going to walk around the city tomorrow and see where the day takes us. I feel so relaxed about my time in Barcelona because I feel like I hit all of the major sites when I was here for a weekend in 2008, so I am not as stressed and thinking…oh I have to see that! Ah! Can't wait to get OFF the ship and get things started!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment