Today was so nice. I slept in a little this morning and then woke up and had some early lunch on the ship. I caught the bus into town with a few of my classmates and then spent the afternoon with Greg taking in a beautiful sand and rock beach right outside the walls of the old city. It was sunny and gorgeous and the water was totally refreshing. It was great to just sit and chat and sip a cold Croatian beer.
After spending one or two hours on the beach, I took off to catch a few last glimpses of the old city on my own. Dubrovnik is such a safe place – there are hardly any pickpockets and the people were so friendly, so I didn’t even have to worry about being by myself. I pretty much felt safer in Dubrovnik than I do in College Park! Anyway, it was really nice to just walk around the old city and discover the beautiful little churches and cathedrals in the city. They weren’t huge by any means, but the rather simplistic decorations were really nice…lots of gold and marble. I did a little shopping and then wandered back to the ship at 4:30PM well before the 6:00 PM on ship time. I had dinner in a side dining room with Kathy (my professor), Keith (her partner), and my Student Affairs at Sea cohort. It’s really nice because we are creating a sort of tradition by having dinner together after each port. It sort of feels like coming home to your family after a long weekend – like a Sunday dinner! That night, we had a reflection time in the union on the ship where students, staff, and faculty gather to talk about their experiences and share insights about their time in port. I love going to that, because I am always amazed at the diversity of experiences other folks have in the same city that I was in!
There was an amazing sunset that night which I watched from sixth deck. The captain passed the ship by the old city so we had a great view from the sea. On the way out of the port, our ship had an impromptu honking contest with another cruise ship, which is not something you hear every day!
No comments:
Post a Comment