Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 4 in Greece – Athens (Sunday, July 18)

Today was pretty low key…I woke up and headed into Athens with Greg to do some exploring in the Plaka (the shopping area below the Acropolis). One of the things that I love about Athens is that you will just be walking around and all of a sudden, you glance down a street and have a magnificent view of the Acropolis, or an ancient church, or some ruins. History is just everywhere – it’s hard not to be awed by this. We only had a few hours to spend there today, unfortunately, because we had to get back to the ship to sail out that night.

Greg and I had one last gyro at a hole-in-the-wall food stand/restaurant. This was the first place that we have been that had NO English on the menu. It was an interesting ordering experience, and I am still not 100% sure what it was that we ended up with. No problem, though, because it was a very good gyro (aka “ear-row”) and it only cost 1 euro (about 1.25 US dollars)!

We got back to the ship a few hours early to avoid the lines. I had dinner that night with my Student Affairs family, went to port reflection at 8:30, and then had a Sea meeting (for my deck) at 9:15 PM. Exhausted but happy from my time in Greece, I went to bed early for some much-needed rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment