It’s finally here – the ship will arrive in Norfolk, Virginia early tomorrow morning! I’ve decided that tonight will be my last blog post for the trip – I can’t believe it! It’s difficult to know what to even write in my last post. What can I say that can possibly sum up the summer? I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve spent about 45 minutes staring at my laptop (and also at the ocean!) trying to decide what to write. I keep starting and stopping because every sentence that I type sounds like something out of a Semester at Sea marketing pamphlet.
It’s also difficult to write this because anyone who knows me at all knows that I’ve been tear-ing up every five minutes over the last part of this voyage because I’m sad it has to end! In fact, in the last 48 hours, I’ve been choking up when anyone so much as mentions packing or the fact that we are getting off the ship tomorrow. As much as I am looking forward to getting home, it feels like I’m just getting started here and that there is still more to see and experience in the world! It’s hard to imagine that tomorrow, I will have to say goodbye to all of the people who have become a part of my SAS family this summer. This week of heading back to the United States has been a boat-load (literally!) of mixed emotions.
The past week and a half has flown by. I’ve been trying to jam-pack everything into these last few days on the ship! Turning in final papers, attending final receptions and meetings, waking up early to see the sun rise, soaking in the sun on the pool deck, laying out under the stars to watch a meteor shower, and saying final thank-you’s and goodbyes!
Also, because of how much I complained at the beginning of the voyage, you might be shocked to hear that…I have finally found my sea-legs! I actually have not been sea-sick AT ALL on the entire Atlantic crossing home! Not even kidding – I have been drug-free (from sea-sickness meds, of course) for over a week now! Can you believe it? After all this time! Who knew that my body would really adapt to life at sea? : )
So, because this is my last post, I want to say thank you to friends and family who have been reading along. I’m so glad that I could have shared a little about my adventures with you. Although it was sometimes difficult to find the time to write and I was ALWAYS about 2 or 3 countries behind in my posts, I am really glad to have kept writing throughout the summer. It was fun for me to share my experiences with everyone at home but it was also a nice way to reflect on my experiences in port and on the ship.
Some final thoughts to wrap this up…
I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn and experience so much in one summer. I know that I could write pages and pages of memories, lessons, and questions that I’ve collected over the past nine weeks, but I’ve instead limited myself to this rather-lengthy blog. : ) During my travels, I’ve been touched at the hospitality I’ve encountered. I’ve also been sincerely humbled by the understanding and humanity that I’ve witnessed in the people that I’ve met. It gives me a lot of hope and has helped me to see more similarities between cultures, rather than the superficial differences. I thought that I would be exhausted from this summer, but as I return to the US, I’m filled with a renewed sense of energy and appreciation. As much as I will miss my SAS family and all of the adventures, I’m excited to get back home! : )
What else can I say? It’s been an INCREDIBLE summer! I’ve loved every minute and will always fondly remember the summer of 2010!
With love,
Sarah
well i could say it in person tomorrow but i´ll write it down as my final comment on your final blog post! thanks for keeping us informed and for sharing your trip with us! I can´t wait to hear all about it in person but for all of the times when that wasn´t possible, it was great to follow your journey all summer!! thanks for writing!
ReplyDelete